The student news site of Marco Island Academy High School

Swimming to Regionals

Andrah Stansbury-Mendoza and Dustin Cookson

Water encapsulates the body as strong arms grasp towards the finish line. The Marco Island Academy swim team prepares for Districts at FGCU.

In last week’s home meet against Lely High School, our swimmers won all of their events. Team captains Lisa Cottage-Ramnick and Susan Faremouth, both juniors, led the team in the 200 meter freestyle relay, joined by freshman Lauren Faremouth and sophomore Anna Chamberlin. They cut their previous relay time by 6 seconds, finishing with a time of 1:51.6, just seven seconds away from qualifying for States.

Susan Faremouth, the team’s endurance swimmer, swam the 500 meter freestyle in 5:33, as well as the 200 meter freestyle with a time of 2:03. Lisa Cottage-Ramnick obtained a new school record in the 200 individual medley, with a time of 2:13. She swam her best event, the 100 meter breaststroke, with a time of 1:08.

Lauren Faremouth, Celia Fletcher, Anna Chamberlin, and Teagan Havemeier, the newest additions to the team, all achieved new personal records in individual events.

“Overall, our team is advancing pretty well,” said Cottage-Ramnick. “Our new swimmers have come a long way from where they started and are excelling at a fast rate.”

With the progress made by the Marco Island Rays Swim Team in the past months, they’re sure to have a definite place in the foreseeable future at both States and Regionals.