The student news site of Marco Island Academy High School

McDonald’s is Touching Technology

New technology has been spotted in McDonald's: Are customers happier with the new addition?

Lily Salmons, Staff Writer

Have you noticed the new machine in McDonald’s? Have you tried it? What are your thoughts on it? What is its purpose? Are you tired of waiting in line for a meal? McDonald’s has noticed our struggles in advance. They have brought a new piece of technology that helps not only our services, but everyone’s! This machine, called a kiosk, is a touchscreen technological system for customers to have another option to order.

“It is like a giant iPhone,  anyone can work it,” said Karina Salas, manager of one of the McDonald’s restaurants on the island. Salas also stated that the purpose was to bring in more sales. It is accessible for everyone, and it is a very easy tool to use. All it takes to order is a few steps:

1. Tap the kiosk.
  2. Build your order.
  3. Add toppings to burgers or change your size of your soda.
  4. Pay with either cash or credit.
  5. Pick up your receipt and wait patiently for your meal number to be called.

Though it all seems to be very easy to use, what is its purpose? An employee stated that, when it gets busy, the kiosk is another source to order food. Salas also mentioned that new people want to try the kiosk because it is easy to use. On the other hand, however, she mentioned that the older customers would rather use over-the-counter means of ordering services because it is less difficult for them.

The kiosk was ordered, shipped, and installed at the amount of six thousand dollars. This must have been a big budget cut, but was it worth it? Salas brought up the fact that the kiosk would help the business and impress the customers.

The kiosk is approachable at 10:30am to 9:00pm. There is no need to worry about rush hour; the kiosk has it covered. Most customers agree that this computerized machine makes ordering a much simpler task.

Though the kiosk makes ordering simpler, the machine has its downfall, but only at the mistake of the customer pulling out the wrong receipt or no receipt, or accidentally pushing the wrong buttons. Confusion regarding the operation of the machine is a major factor when it comes to things going wrong with orders.

McDonald’s came up with using the kiosk because of the high demand on keeping up with the latest technology. A customer at McDonald’s who wishes to remain anonymous said that they would prefer to have one-on-one customer-employee interaction. They said, “…you cannot ask the machine if they [have] tried the product, if it is too spicy, or will it fill me up?”

Some customers seem to enjoy the interaction with over-the-counter services. Others, however, choose to remain on the simpler side of things.

Salas also said that they’re teaching people how to use the computer and that it’s worth having the machine in the restaurant. Once the customers understand how to use the machine, the next time they come in, things come through a lot faster.

In the end, the customers and the business get through faster and easier, making the ordering process a lot less hectic. Salas’ advice for customers when it comes to using the kiosk is, “It is easy to use, you should try it!”

2 Comments

2 Responses to “McDonald’s is Touching Technology”

1. alayna salain on October 28th, 2016 12:22 pm

I really enjoyed, reading this article. I found it really interesting.

[Reply]

Lily Salmons Reply:

Thank you for taking your time to read it.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Student Life

Is Homecoming Welcoming?

• Student Life

Is MIA Fostering Young Artists?

• McDonald’s is Touching Technology

Student Life

What’s With the Price Raise?

• McDonald’s is Touching Technology

Student Life

A Growing Success

• Student Life

Wanna go Clubbing?

• McDonald’s is Touching Technology

Student Life

Scoping out Scalia

• Student Life

Is Homecoming Welcoming?

• News

Crawling to Life

• Student Life

Is MIA Fostering Young Artists?

• McDonald’s is Touching Technology

Student Life

What’s With the Price Raise?

McDonald’s is Touching Technology