Teacher Feature: Mrs. Cobos

Bella Burgos, Staff Writer

Marco Island Academy has had to make some tough teacher replacements due to the loss of a few staff members, specifically in the Science Department. 

One such teacher is now filling the absence in room 202- Mrs. Dolores Cobos. She teaches biology, chemistry, AICE Environmental Management, and AICE Marine Science. 

Mrs. Cobos grew up in New York and earned her business degree from the City University of New York. After college, she moved to Texas where she worked for hotels as a receptionist and helped alongside engineering efforts.

Despite Mrs. Cobos’s past interests, she ultimately dedicated her life to teaching. She revealed that “I never thought I would become a teacher.”  Her diverse experiences have allowed her to become a unique educator.

In her time here at MIA she has recognized the benefits of working in a small school environment. This has given her the freedom to use her personalized teaching methods and “change the curriculum to meet student’s needs.”  She feels she can better cater to aspects students struggle with. 

She stated “I feel like I’m making a difference” which is one of her top priorities as an educator. She wants to see her students become more proactive in their learning and conveys her apprehension for their attachment to technology and social media. 

Outside of teaching, she has many hobbies and interests. She regularly attends Zumba, loves to paint, and travels. When she was younger, her dream job was to be a travel journalist. She has traveled to a wide variety of places including Italy, Egypt, Greece, New Zealand, Australia, and Venezuela. During her time as a student abroad, she became fluent in Italian. 

She also enjoys listening to music, specifically pop. She loves Maroon 5, Rihanna, Ed Sheeran, Dua Lipa, Bruno Mars, and many more. 

MIA is excited to welcome Mrs. Cobos as a new part of the school staff lineup. There is no doubt that she is an amazing addition to our school.