History and Culture Club Trip Postponed

Savannah Long, Staff Writer

A recent update about MIA’s Travel Club trip to Spain has been announced as of last night.

Unfortunately, due to the Corona Virus, the club will not be traveling to Spain over spring break and instead the trip will be postponed to June 21st. Although the trip wasn’t canceled, the change in dates isn’t completely good news. 

A few current seniors won’t be able to go on the trip in June because of their summer semesters in college so now refunds and replacements are in progress. The 3-4 students that can’t go are seeking replacements and the club already has people interested in filling the spots. The Corona Virus might still affect the trip in June as well but experts think that the trip is still in action. According to Mrs. Galiana, her “biggest fear is not the actual virus because it isn’t affecting young kids, but the possible mandatory government quarantine that postponed the trip.” 

A lot of thought and consideration has gone into this decision such as the safety of students, graduation for seniors, and AICE testing that takes place after school gets out. One of the most influential reasons was the risk of the 14 day quarantine that students would have to pay for if it came to that. 

Mrs. Galiana wanted to sincerely thank The Passports Educational Group Travel for their kindness towards the group she said, “they have gone above and beyond to compensate us and take a huge financial loss themselves to not break the hearts of students.”

In addition, Mrs. Galiana stated that “we also very much appreciate Audrey Oz at  A Class Transportation (ACT) for waiving all penalties and charges for our bus trip to and from Miami. We should have lost nearly $2000 for canceling so late, but they were so very gracious in not penalizing us.

With this decision to postpone the date of the trip, parents are relieved and students are looking forward to their departure June 21st.