MIA Varsity Basketball: Forecast for 2019

Kevin Barry, Contributing Writer

Team morale is at an all-time high for the Men’s and Women’s Varsity Basketball teams at Marco Island Academy.  With the guidance from head coach Travis Barry and assistant coach Jim Watt instilled in the teams over the summer and late fall months, an electric hopefulness is in the air.

For the Manta Ray Men, there are eight returning players: one senior, three juniors, four sophomores.  Junior captain Kevin Barry looks forward to a competitive season, stating, “The team’s loyalty to each other and the coaches over the offseason has not only led to increased talent and skill, but a refined work ethic.”  One of the other juniors, Kyler Howard, transferred back to MIA after a sophomore season at St. John Neumann. When asked about his return, he stated, “It really feels like we’re all a big family at MIA. There’s just a camaraderie that was not there for me last year.  I missed it.” For senior captain Dominic Moller, this season is not just about a positive win-loss record, but growing as a singular team unit.

On the other hand, the Manta Ray Ladies have undergone a major shift over the offseason.  Of the eight players, only two were on the team last year. Many of the girls are multiple-sport student athletes.  One of those returning players, junior Megan Sweeney, says, “When you have a group of people willing to put in the hard work and dedication needed to accomplish a shared task, you begin to understand the important role each player contributes to our MIA basketball family.”  Freshman Kathryn Barry corroborates Sweeney’s quote, stating, “I am really looking forward to what this season holds. It is exciting to see everyone getting on the same page.”

Of course, there have been obstacles along the road for both teams.  The lone senior on the Ladies team, Malley McGuire, suffered an ankle sprain a few days after the team’s competitive preseason debut at Donahue Academy.  Her teammates cannot wait to get this defensive specialist back onto the court. For the Men’s team, junior captain Johnny Watt, the leading rebounding and assist man for the Rays, injured his wrist.  Freshmen John Boxma and Shamus Coyle will be tasked with using their hardworking nature to fill some of the void that will be noticed without Watt on the floor.

Even so, the future is bright and the skill is there.  In their first regular season home game, the Manta Ray Men bested Mason Classical Academy 84-19.  Their defense was in the spotlight, as the Rays picked up 30 steals during the game. Sophomores Tony Castillo, Joe Reisinger, Quintin Fitton, and Nick Smithem added a spark to the fast-paced defense that persisted throughout the one-sided game.  At their current standing, the Manta Ray Men are 3-0.

The Manta Ray Ladies lost a close battle to Donahue in their preseason matchup, but the immense improvement from last year was evident.  Every team they play will definitely leave the gym with bruises and a reluctance to go against their aggressive defense. Not to mention, there are two sets of twins on the team: Bridget and Megan Sweeney, as well as Cadence and Jocelyn Snover.  This will undoubtedly throw opponents for a loop. New edition to the team this year, Camryn Rose, gives the Rays impressive height and athleticism. Another newcomer, Amelia “Lynn” Fontello, adds to the fierce defense. Their home opener is on the 13th of December, where they will face the Village School of Naples.

For Coach Travis Barry, this season goes beyond the stat sheets and highlight reels.  He states, “My hopes are to build a Men’s and Ladies Basketball Program at MIA that our players love to play for, that our fans want to cheer for, and that our school and city can be proud of.”  It is safe to say that the Manta Rays will be a fun spectacle to watch this year.