MIA Key Club Officer Becomes Lieutenant Governor

Grant Tirrell

MIA Key Club members and officers pose for a photo at the 2023 Spring Zone Rally.

Grant Tirrell, Web Layout Editor

On Saturday, February 25th, Key Club’s Spring Zone Rally took place at Gulf Coast High School. The Spring Zone Rally is a Key Club end-of-year meeting that brings students together from all schools in the nearby divisions to participate in leadership workshops, as well as vote on the candidates for next year’s divisional Lieutenant Governor, or LTG. 

This year, Marco Island Academy’s Key Club sent its own candidate, Tyler Clifford, to the Spring Zone Rally to deliver a speech and run for a district role. Of the three candidates voted on at this year’s rally, Tyler came in with the 2nd most votes, and a different candidate from Gulf Coast High School won and became next year’s LTG. 

MIA Key Club officer Makayla Hendrick snaps a selfie with the group at the Spring Zone Rally. (Grant Tirrell)

However, this candidate withdrew from the position the next day, citing unforeseen circumstances, and Tyler became the LTG for next year’s Key Club term. 

Lieutenant Governor is a district-level role, and they are expected to organize divisional council meetings, publish a monthly newsletter to bridge the gap between the district and club levels of Key Club, as well as hold officer training sessions to help grow Key Club organizations within their district.

Tyler is looking forward to serving local Key Clubs in his new position. “I am looking forward to working alongside other lieutenant governors and the district board to help grow Key Club in our division,” Tyler states.